'Steady stream' of teenagers taking up first Covid vaccine
- Credit: Neil Didsbury
Young people aged 16 and 17 are embracing the opportunity to take up their vaccine during the summer holidays in Norfolk and Waveney.
The JCVI announced on August 4, young people aged 16 and 17 would be able to get vaccinated without their parents' consent.
The government aims for the age group to have been offered their first dose by August 23.
GP Dr Clare Hambling shared her delight having seen a “steady stream” of young people arrive for their vaccination at the weekend.
On Twitter, the CCG board member said: “They understand the importance in looking after themselves and everyone around them.”
You may also want to watch:
So far nearly 1.5m doses have been distributed by the Norfolk and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
Cath Byford, chief nurse, said: “We have worked hard to be as flexible as possible and provide a service which is easy and convenient for local people to access, and early evidence suggests that the 16 to 17 year old age group has embraced the opportunity to have the jab, which will protect both them and others from COVID-19 while reducing the chances of death and symptomatic disease.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 5 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 6 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 10 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
“We would urge anyone who hasn’t yet been vaccinated to come forward as soon as possible to get the very best protection before the autumn and winter, and younger people to have the single dose recommended by experts before schools, colleges and universities reopen in September.”
Are you under 18 and have taken up your Covid vaccine? Get in touch by emailing email@example.com