UEA medical student reaches grand final of competition
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich medical student has reached the national final of a prestigious surgical competition.
Maria Stefil, from the University of East Anglia, will compete in the grand final of the surgical skills competition after being crowned the East of England heat winner.
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh contest sees final year medical students from across the UK demonstrate surgical skills across a series of challenges.
Maria said: "Generally, medical students are exposed to a limited range of surgical skills as part of the undergraduate curriculum, and it was therefore a very unique and exciting opportunity to learn and practise more advanced skills such as laparoscopy.
"I am thrilled about the grand final as I am sure that the bar will be set even higher."
You may also want to watch:
The final 20 will compete for the title when the final takes place on March 14.
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 3 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 4 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 5 Prime minister promises "February sunset" for coronavirus tiers
- 6 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 7 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Drunk man arrested after driving into water-filled dike
- 10 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show