"She's asleep" - Listen to the 999 call made by a four-year-old girl that helped save her mother
PUBLISHED: 13:23 08 October 2015 | UPDATED: 07:56 09 October 2015
The remarkable story of how a four-year-old girl came to the rescue of her mum after she found her unconscious can be told today.
Sasha Nutley sprang into action and dialled 999 after she was unable to wake her mum, Emma, who suffers from a heart condition.
With no-one else in the house, the little girl told call handler Lizzie Martin: “My mum’s got a poorly heartbeat”, and then spent 16 crucial minutes on the phone as an ambulance crew was sent to the scene, in Marham.
Now, proud Sasha has been presented with a certificate from the East of England Ambulance Service, praising her outstanding actions in which she remained “as cool as a cucumber”, according to Ms Martin.
Emma Nutley, 30, whose supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) causes her heart to beat too fast, said she was very proud of her daughter.
“I’m a nurse at the QEH (Queen Elizabeth Hospital) and I have taught her about when to phone 999, just in case, but this was the first time she had to call it,” she said.
“My heart had gone really fast and I tried to bring it down, but it was so fast and I had chest pain. I felt my chest getting quite tight and got onto the sofa. I woke up to find paramedics in the house and I wondered what was going on.
“Sasha was really excited about getting a certificate for what she did.”
Mrs Nutley was taken to the QEH, in King’s Lynn, and released later that night.
The EDP can today reveal the full transcript of Sasha’s phone conversation with Lizzie Martin in which she gave a running commentary of her mum’s condition while trying to rouse her. At one stage, Sasha can be heard saying: “Wake up mum, wake up”.
In lighter moments, as Ms Martin tries to keep Sasha on the phone, the pair talk about Sasha’s forthcoming birthday and holiday plans, as well as her long hair and love of the film Frozen.
Sasha, now five, attends Cherry Tree Academy in the village and was presented with a certificate praising her outstanding actions at a school assembly.
Ms Martin, who works at the East of England Ambulance Service emergency operations centre in Norwich, saod she was very impressed by the girl’s attitude.
“She was cool as a cucumber and answered all the questions I asked her and explained that her mummy had a poorly heartbeat and she could not wake her. She did really well,” she said.
The incident happened at about 7.30pm on Sunday, September 6. Sasha’s father Gareth was at work at RAF Marham at the time.
Do you have a story about a lifesaver? Email health correspondent Nicholas Carding at email@example.com