Scouting groups parade around Norwich in celebration of St George’s Day
- Credit: Archant
More than 100 young scouts took part in a parade in Norwich to celebrate St George's Day.
The event, held in the city centre earlier today, was watched by hundreds of onlookers as well as the friends and families of those involved.
A number of civic dignitories were at the march, including Brenda Arthur, the Lord Mayor of Norwich.
Ahead of the parade she said: 'It's magnificent to see so many scouts, cubs, explorers, network, and active support leaders and it's a privilege to speak to you on this special day.'
She said the qualities displayed by George in the legend were still learned in the scouting movement today.
You may also want to watch:
'Over the years thousands of young people have benefitted from scouting,' Mrs Arthur added.
'You are learning qualities such as trust, courage, and friendship, which will benefit you through life.'
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 9 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 10 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
The groups then paraded in front of Mrs Arthur and gave the salute, before marching to Chapelfield Road Methodist Chapel.
In the build-up to the parade the public were treated to a performance by Norfolk Wherry Brass.
The groups taking part in the parade were: 27th Norwich, 1st Horsford, 44th Norwich, 18th Norwich, 16th Norwich, 2nd Reepham, District Explorers, 1st Drayton, Network, 25th Norwich, 3rd Norwich, 4th Norwich, 2nd Hellesdon, 1st Taverham, 1st Spixworth, 11th Norwich.