‘Lockdown could last into June’ - Coronavirus expert answers our key questions
- Credit: Archant © 2013
Paul Hunter, a professor of medicine at the University of East Anglia, has shared his expertise on coronavirus and answered key questions about the pandemic.
Q: It has been suggested the UK’s social distancing may be working already and the number of Covid-19 cases is now falling. What do you think?
A: “One of the first things I learnt about epidemics is that you don’t make statements like that on a Monday because on the weekend all sorts of things can conspire to make it more difficult. For example, people typically take the weekend off work. You see in every single infectious disease that there is a dip of reports on a weekend.
“But we’re not yet in my view seeing a decline and any talk of a decline at the beginning of the week is significantly misjudged.”
Q: When will we see a decline in cases?
You may also want to watch:
A: “It is quite plausible we will see a more acceptable decline in new cases by Friday. This is not based on death rates, which follow behind one to two weeks, but case numbers.
“This would also fit to the timescale and experience seen in Italy. I hope that we see a reduction in new cases by the end of the week and if we don’t something is going quite wrong.”
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 5 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 8 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
Q: How long do you think this form of lockdown will last?
A: “The simple answer is I don’t know. But in my personal view, based on years of experience, I think this degree of containment will last until end of May and early into June.