Opinion: The night former Norwich City legend Duncan Forbes abandoned wedding anniversary celebrations to help the city’s swimmers
- Credit: Archant © 2008
An article concerning Duncan Forbes (March 6) has brought back some wonderful memories of him for members of the Norwich Swan Swimming Club.
It may seem unusual that the former captain of Norwich City Football team is remembered by so many swimmers, but in the late 1980s Duncan accepted an invitation to present trophies, medals and certificates achieved by members following the Swan Club Championships.
Click here for previous articles.
It proved to be a very popular choice and members were delighted to receive their awards from their hero.
It was a year or two later that David Wilkie, the Olympic gold medallist had promised to present the trophies at the Swan's Award evening. However, on the due date Wilkie contacted the organiser of the event Richard Belson (past chairman and life member) to announce that he would not be attending.
Immediately it was 'panic stations'; who could we possibly get at such short notice to do the honours? Suddenly Richard remembered Duncan Forbes as we had such an enjoyable and inspiring time with him previously.
You may also want to watch:
Although it was thought Duncan would have an engagement elsewhere Richard rang him and was delighted when Duncan without hesitation said he would be pleased to come.
We discovered later that he had cancelled his wedding anniversary dinner with his wife – she must be a very understanding lady!
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 8 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 9 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 10 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
Once again we had a wonderful evening and members were over the moon at having a second chance to shake Duncan by the hand as they collected their trophies.
We are all so sorry to read of the illness that this devoted sportsman is battling and send our very best wishes to his wife and family at this very stressful time.
Bridget A Belson,
Hon Life member of Norwich Swan Swimming Club, Waldemar Avenue, Hellesdon.