Norfolk mum so grateful for Good Samaritans who helped her son after epileptic seizure

Thankful mum Donna Lovett, who is extremely grateful to the nurse who came to her son Dean' s assist

Thankful mum Donna Lovett, who is extremely grateful to the nurse who came to her son Dean' s assistance when he collapsed after having an epileptic fit. Photo: Steve Adams

A grateful mother has thanked a group of Good Samaritans who came to the aid of her son when they found him face-down on the ground alongside a bus stop.

But Donna Lovett has been unable to say a proper thank you to the people who helped her son, as they didn't leave their names.

The distressing incident unfolded after Mrs Lovett's 17-year-old son, Dean Burton-Pye, had an epileptic seizure when waiting for a bus in Orchard Bank, Drayton, just around the corner from their home in Sheridan Close. Fortunately Mrs Lovett's 20-year-old daughter, Danielle Burton-Pye, was at home when one of the people who had come to Dean's aid knocked on their door and an ambulance was soon called.

An emotional Mrs Lovett said: 'I would just like to say to the people who helped, thank you very, very much for stopping to help.

'If it wasn't for each of you then it could have been a lot worse, particularly with the heavy snow which fell later that day, we could have been looking at pneumonia and all sorts then if Dean had had a seizure later.

You may also want to watch:

'There was a woman with nursing experience in a uniform who stopped and another couple who brought some blankets out to cover Dean and my daughter thinks it was a fourth lady who came and knocked at our door.

'We just really want them to get in contact so we can take them round a box of chocolates and say thank you.'

Most Read

Dean, who is studying a part-time business course at City College Norwich, had his seizure at around 2pm on Monday, January 14.

He was also carrying a bright pink strawberry milkshake at the time, which splattered all over him and the ground around him, adding to the drama at the scene.

Mrs Lovett, 45, rushed across the city from Norwich prison, where she works, to meet her son at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

She continued: 'Dean hasn't had a seizure for ages but now he's had two in two weeks so the doctors have upped his medication.

'He was diagnosed when he was 10 but it was the first seizure he'd had since March last year.'

Dean suffered cuts to his face and hands when he fell to the ground and didn't regain full consciousness until he was in an ambulance and travelling to hospital. But after five hours in hospital to be checked over, he was allowed to go home.

Mrs Lovett says the incident has really shaken her, adding: 'To be honest Dean handles it really well, it's me that panics. I've been told not to wrap him up in cotton wool but now if he wants to walk around to a friend's house, I find myself walking with him because I'm worried he will have another seizure.'

- If you were one of the people who came to Dean's aid, you can email Mrs Lovett on

- Have you got a story for the Evening News? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus