Norfolk and Waveney Big C charity launches �1m cash appeal
Local cancer charity Big C yesterday launched a �1m appeal to provide support centres for patients across Norfolk and Waveney.
It came as the independent charity revealed it is opening a new centre in Great Yarmouth in September – a version of the successful Big C Cancer Support and Information Centre at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
Big C's chief executive Daniel Williams said: 'This is a very exciting time. We are helping cancer patients right in the heart of their communities. Our long-term plan is to open a string of similar centres around Norfolk and Waveney, bringing easily accessible help close to home for people who have cancer.
'As well as this new centre in Great Yarmouth, I can confirm that we have also identified properties in Cromer and King's Lynn and we are currently working on bringing these forward as local centres.
'Patients and their families have been telling us for years that they want more support closer to home and also at the end of their treatment.
You may also want to watch:
'I'm very pleased we are able to launch the Closer to You appeal. These centres will make a real difference to the lives of people all around Norfolk and Waveney.'
The appeal will fund these three centres for a year and also allow Big C to open other centres around Norfolk and Waveney. The new Great Yarmouth drop-in centre will be on the floor above the current Big C shop at 33 Regent Street.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 5 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 6 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
To help the appeal, log on to www.big-c.co.uk/closer-to-you or you can make donations through the charity's website, over the phone, by post or in person at Big C's shops or the Big C centre.