No bed was available for man who hanged himself
- Credit: Archant
An inquest heard last month that a young man had been let down by Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation in the days before he killed himself last summer.
Michael Knight, of Newton St Faith, hanged himself on August 28 2012. His father pleaded with mental health workers to section his son after he had made two suicide bids last summer.
The 20-year-old eventually agreed to be admitted voluntarily into hospital on August 28, only to find that no bed was available in Norfolk and he would have to wait until the next day.
When mental health workers told him a bed had become free that evening, he asked to wait until the following day as planned. But, faced with the prospect of having to 'finally face his demons', his father said, he hanged himself.
Margaret Grubb said her grandson had been 'completely let down' by mental health services and had spent the last seven weeks of his life under the care of Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust.
You may also want to watch:
'The trust failed to acknowledge the real and significant risk Michael was under. Even though the trust knew that Michael's mental health was deteriorating quite rapidly, they continued to refuse him admission to hospital until that last fateful day.
'We will always be angry about the lack of support from the mental health services, especially when Michael was so obviously in such a distressed and vulnerable state. There is a real need for proper support systems around people who are feeling suicidal, and their families.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 4 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 7 Concern raised over work on anaerobic digestion plant on outskirts of village
- 8 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
- 9 Can you spot yourself at Let's Rock Norwich?
- 10 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub