No bed was available for man who hanged himself

Michael Knight, who hanged himself in August 2012.

Michael Knight, who hanged himself in August 2012. - Credit: Archant

An inquest heard last month that a young man had been let down by Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation in the days before he killed himself last summer.

Michael Knight, of Newton St Faith, hanged himself on August 28 2012. His father pleaded with mental health workers to section his son after he had made two suicide bids last summer.

The 20-year-old eventually agreed to be admitted voluntarily into hospital on August 28, only to find that no bed was available in Norfolk and he would have to wait until the next day.

When mental health workers told him a bed had become free that evening, he asked to wait until the following day as planned. But, faced with the prospect of having to 'finally face his demons', his father said, he hanged himself.

Margaret Grubb said her grandson had been 'completely let down' by mental health services and had spent the last seven weeks of his life under the care of Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust.

You may also want to watch:

'The trust failed to acknowledge the real and significant risk Michael was under. Even though the trust knew that Michael's mental health was deteriorating quite rapidly, they continued to refuse him admission to hospital until that last fateful day.

'We will always be angry about the lack of support from the mental health services, especially when Michael was so obviously in such a distressed and vulnerable state. There is a real need for proper support systems around people who are feeling suicidal, and their families.'

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter