New pop-up minor injuries unit to be set up by the beach for coastal residents and tourists
- Credit: Ian Burt
A new pop-up minor injuries unit will be set up by the beach over the next two weekends to treat coastal residents and holidaymakers.
Volunteers from St John Ambulance will be running the service on The Lower Green in Hunstanton to save patients travelling to get the help they need.
People who have suffered minor injuries, which have resulted in bleeding, burns or sprains, will be treated by the advanced first aiders, who are also able to help with sunburn, allergies, bites and stings.
The team will be helping people from 11am to 7pm on Saturday and Sunday, August 18 and 19, and on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, August 26, 26 and 27.
West Norfolk Clinical Commissioning Group is working with St John Ambulance to provide this service to support patients and the frontline NHS staff over the Bank Holiday weekend.
Christopher Levis, district manager for St John Ambulance in Norfolk, said: 'We are delighted to be working on this initiative with West Norfolk CCG, providing first aid to the community of Hunstanton and surrounding villages.
'By helping our NHS partners to provide the appropriate care to those that need it, we will also hope to relieve pressure on local A&E departments.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 3 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 4 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 9 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 10 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
'If you have sustained a minor injury and need any assistance over the next couple of weekends, please come and speak to one of our volunteers at the pop-up unit.'
The pop-up Unit will be running on The Lower Green in Cliff Parade, between the Hunstanton Pier Family Entertainment Centre and the Esplanade Gardens.
John Webster, accountable officer for West Norfolk CCG, said: 'We are excited to be working with St John Ambulance to offer West Norfolk's first pop-up minor injury unit.
'The dedicated team at St John Ambulance have done a sterling job in supporting the public and working with NHS services over many years.
'It is our hope that coastal patients who have had a minor accident or illness on the glorious beaches around Hunstanton will consider dropping into this unit rather than heading over to the busy accident and emergency unit at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
'The team will refer on any patients who need acute medical treatment to the right service.'