New Norfolk Park Run makes a swift start
- Credit: Archant
The first Park Run in a Norfolk town has been swift out of the blocks in attracting runners after 90 turned up to the first event on Saturday.
The first Thetford Park Run took place at Abbey Meadows when runners completed a 5km course that included Priory Park, Abbey Meadows and Canon Close and their times were then logged to go on Park Run's national website.
Pariticipants came from as far field as Kings Lynn, Norwich, Cambridge, Ipswich and Great Yarmouth, many of whom had also taken part in runs in their local areas, while a quarter of the field was from Thetford.
Melanie Floyd, an event director for the Thetford run, said the aim of the event was to encourage people to lead more active lifestyles and participants could run or walk the 5km distance.
She said the event, which is going to be held every week on Saturdays at 9am, is free to enter and participants are given a barcode which they bring to the run, then at the end they are given another barcode with their time which is linked up to the first barcode and all times are registered on the run's website.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Floyd, who is a member of Thetford Athletics Club, said: 'It is just really a good thing because it brings about a community spirit. People are involved and they meet other people. I am just overwhelmed. I was not expecting 90 people to be here today.'
Similar events are held in towns across the country and the organisers of the event are hoping to keep it running every week so long as there are enough volunteers to run it.
- 1 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 2 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 3 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 4 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 5 Do you recognise this man?
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 9 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 10 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
The run is being organised in partnership with Moving Thetford Forward, Active Norfolk and Thetford Town Council