New look unveiled at Norfolk dementia unit following government investment
- Credit: Archant
A specialist dementia centre in Norfolk has unveiled a new look after receiving government funding to make it more homely and easier to navigate for patients.
Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Hammerton Court, in Norwich, was one of 116 organisations awarded £249,000 from a £50m pot of Department of Health cash to create pioneering dementia care environments.
The mental health trust has now completed the refurbishment of the 36-bed unit, which includes the imaginative use of colour across its three wards, a redesigned entrance, new fixtures and fittings, and themed rooms depicting an ice cream parlour, tea room and social club.
Nicky Gordon, clinical team leader at Hammerton Court, which opened two years ago, said: 'We have transformed the unit from a plain and formerly quite clinical building into a much warmer environment through the small scale cosmetic improvements.'
'The changes we have made are designed to create a much more homely feel to promote patient wellbeing, mobility, independence and activity. It's well researched that simple changes such as brightening and enhancing the colour schemes help to support people with dementia. Service users, carers and visitors are pleased with the results and for staff too, it provides somewhere inspiring to work, as well as aiding things like recruitment and morale.'
You may also want to watch:
Has your family been affected by dementia? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 9 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 10 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk