N&N hospital cancer appeal reaches halfway mark
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
A public appeal to make a Norfolk hospital a regional leader for cancer treatment has hit the halfway mark.
The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital launched a £600,000 appeal last year to offer more brachytherapy treatments and treat more cancer patients in Norfolk and north Suffolk.
Fundraisers today announced that their Targeted Radiotherapy Appeal had hit the £300,000 mark.
The Christmas fair held at the N&N last week raised over £6,000, pushing the appeal over the halfway mark.
The fundraising appeal aims to upgrade the Colney Centre to offer more brachytherapy treatments for prostate, lung, colon and oesophageal cancers.
You may also want to watch:
Anna Dugdale, chief executive at the hospital, said: 'We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of the public and local organisations. The appeal overall, including the substantial pledges, has raised more than £300,000. We now need to keep up the momentum so that by providing these extra services for local cancer patients we will be well placed for the long-term future.'
Officials praised fundraisers who took part in a dog show, which raised £800, an auction at Kings Head Pub in Laxfield, which raised £6,000, the Cambridge to Norwich Bike Ride, which raised £18,000, and a Duff Morgan Charity Golf day that raised £4,000.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 5 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 6 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 7 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
- 8 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 9 Gypsy and travellers await planning appeal result
- 10 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
Louise Cook, fundraising manager, added: 'Although there is still a considerable way to go before the final target of £600,000 is reached, we are delighted to have reached such a milestone in the Targeted Radiotherapy Appeal and I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has donated so far.'
The appeal has had the backing of the Bishop of Norwich, chairman and chief executive of the Big C, Chief Constable of Norfolk, chairman of Norfolk and Waveney Prostate Cancer Support Group, and the vice chairman of the Norfolk Federation of WIs, along with support from many other local organisations, charities and the public.
You can donate online by visiting www.justgiving.com/NNUH-TargetedRadiotherapyAppeal
Are you doing something for the appeal? Contact health correspondent Adam Gretton on 01603 772419 or email firstname.lastname@example.org