MP Henry Bellingham calls for cancer carers to get more support
- Credit: Â© James McCauley
Carers of people with cancer need to be given more support as the number of people with the illness increases, an MP has warned.
North-West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham said he had written to health secretary Jeremy Hunt to urge him to ensure council and the NHS have a shared responsibility to identify carers for patients as part of the Care Bill, which is currently going through Parliament.
'The Care Bill represents a crucial opportunity to improve the provision of support for cancer carers,' Mr Bellingham said after meeting with representatives from Macmillan Cancer Support about the issue.
'We must capitalise on this chance before it is too late.
'By identifying cancer carers and letting them know what information and support is available doctors, nurses and other health and social care professionals can have a positive effect on their quality of life – and improve their ability to carry on caring for the loved one.
You may also want to watch:
'This is why I have written to the secretary of state. After all, the number of people diagnosed with cancer is set to double in the next 20 years, so there will likely also be a surge in people caring for them. It's clearly a very urgent issue and I applaud Macmillan's campaign.'
What do you think about the support cancer carers currently receive? Write to: The Letters Editor, EDP, Rouen Road, Prospect House, Norwich NR1 1RE or email EDPLetters@archant.co.uk
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 5 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 6 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 7 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 8 City confirm midfielder exit
- 9 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 10 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children