More concern about ambulance service after death of teenager in which 999 crews went to wrong address

An ambulance was sent to the wrong address. PhotoRui Vieira/PA Wire

An ambulance was sent to the wrong address. PhotoRui Vieira/PA Wire - Credit: PA

A woman has described the 'chaos' surrounding her daughter's death after an ambulance was sent to the wrong address as the schoolgirl suffered an asthma attack in Cambridgeshire.

Elouise Keeling, 14, collapsed with breathing problems during an Air Cadets sports day at RAF Brampton near Huntingdon on June 25 last year.

An ambulance was called at 7.44pm but was sent to RAF Wyton, 10 miles away, by mistake and did not arrive until 8.03pm.

Elouise, who had suffered from asthma since she was 18 months old, died at the scene as her mother looked on helplessly.

The tragedy comes amid growing pressure on the East of England Ambulance Service over its response times.

You may also want to watch:

Its failings have been highlighted by the EDP's Ambulance Watch campaign since it launched in October 2012, in a bid to bring about improvements.

Karen Keeling, Elouise's mother, told the inquest that she rushed to be by her 'popular and bubbly' daughter's side after she fell ill.

Most Read

She added: 'She rang me and said 'Mum, my asthma is really bad, you need to come now'.

'She sounded really panicked.

'When I got to her she was lying on her back. Her eyes were open but she was unconscious.

'I knelt by her side and talked to her and kept telling her I was there.'

As Mrs Keeling tended to her daughter, she overheard a phone conversation with the ambulance service.

'I heard him saying, 'You shouldn't be there, you've gone to the wrong RAF base',' she added.

'When they arrived it was quite chaotic.'

Crews are supposed to respond to the highest priority cases within eight minutes but that journey took 19 minutes.

Wing Commander Anthony Kelly, who is in charge of Air Cadets in Huntingdon, told the inquest at Huntingdon Law Courts that there had been incidents in 2006 and 2012 when ambulances had been unable to find the base because of an issue over the postcode.

'My understanding is that the matters were reported to the ambulance service,' he added.

Since Elouise's death, both sites have been allocated individual postcodes.

Michael Smith, a senior Air Cadet instructor, made the 999 call.

'She turned blue and was struggling for breath. She said she was going to die,' he added.

He said the call handler insisted on him giving a postcode.

Mr Smith added: 'She asked if it was RAF Brampton and Wyton.

'I said it was two separate bases and RAF Brampton was in the village of Brampton.'

The inquest heard that a call handler had assumed that because the two bases were linked administratively, they were geographically close together. Suzanne Truston, who took the call at an ambulance service base 75 miles away in Norwich, said: 'Linked, to me, means close to or next to.'

She said the problem had come to light when she asked Mr Smith how far he was from a water tower, which was actually near Wyton.

'In hindsight the road name would have helped and I now always ask for a road name for any RAF base,' she added.

The inquest is expected to conclude today.

• For other Ambulance Watch stories, click here.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus