Coronavirus: Marina Theatre closes ‘following government advice’
- Credit: Archant
A popular theatre has closed from today (Tuesday, March 17) as the coronavirus crisis deepens.
Following industry advice and the government’s announcement on Monday evening regarding theatres amid the pandemic, management at the Marina Theatre in Lowestoft have closed the theatre from March 17.
A spokesman for the Marina Theatre said: “Following government advice, and alongside other UK theatres, the Marina Theatre is closed from today (March 17). “We do not know how long this closure will last at the moment but our policy will be renewed in-line with government advice.
“Please check our website – www.marinatheatre.co.uk – over the next few days for further information.
“If you have tickets for upcoming events our box office team will contact you directly.
You may also want to watch:
“Please do not contact the box Office as they are receiving a large volume of calls.
“Thank you for your understanding and patience.”
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
The closure of the Marina Theatre comes after Stephen Crocker, the chief executive of Norwich Theatre Royal, cancelled Monday night’s performance of Les Miserables after prime minister Boris Johnson called on people to “avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues” and stop “non-essential contact” in a bid to slow the spread of Covid-19.
With last night’s show cancelled at the Norwich Theatre Royal a further statement is to be issued about future events at the theatre on Tuesday.