Lucy Spinks, who is running 12 races in 12 months in memory of her mother, set to reach half-way point at Norwich Half Marathon
- Credit: Lucy Spinks
A Norwich woman attempting to complete 12 races in 12 months in memory of her mother will reach the mid-way point during the half-marathon in Norwich tomorrow (Sunday).
Lucy Spinks, 27, has challenged herself to complete a mixture of half-marathons and marathons around the country between October 2016 and October 2017. She will be running more than 235 miles in total.
The NHS administrator has undertaken the challenge to raise support for Norwich-based charity Keeping Abreast. The charity supports women diagnosed with breast cancer and aims to provide information, support and practical help and advice to those considering breast reconstruction.
Miss Spinks has previously raised money for Macmillan Cancer Support but this time she decided she wanted to raise money for a charity closer to home.
She said: 'Sometimes the smaller charities can get overlooked. But I've seen first hand the massive affect they can have.
You may also want to watch:
'I want to let women know the support is out there. People forget what happens after cancer. People don't know their options.
'Keeping Abreast is great at educating women on their next step.'
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 5 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
- 8 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 9 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 10 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
Miss Spinks' mother Karen passed away last year aged 63. She witnessed firsthand how the charity supported her mother through her mastectomy and subsequent breast reconstruction.
'I know that my mother appreciated two things especially; the education they provided about the processes and the social side,' she added. 'She formed strong friendships with women through their shared experiences.'
Miss Spinks credits the 'lovely ladies' at Keeping Abreast with giving her mother the confidence to take to the stage in two of their annual More Than Just Fashion catwalk shows.
'I've never felt so proud.'
Now at the mid point of the races, Miss Spinks has joked, admitting that she 'didn't know' what she was letting herself in for.
The Larking Gowen City of Norwich Half Marathon is now in its 32nd year and was first staged in 1985 by Duke Street Running Club. Originally based in the centre of Norwich, it moved to the Norfolk Showground in 1993.
- You can donate to and support Keeping Abreast via Lucy's fundraising page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LucySpinks.
List of races
1 - October 9: Oxford HM
2 - November 6: Stevenage HM
3 - December 4: Bedford HM
4 - March 12: Wrexham M
5 - April 2: Bungay Black Dog HM
6 - April 9: Norwich HM
7 - May 1: Milton Keynes HM
8 - May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll M
9 - July 2: Potteries, Stoke on Trent M
10 - August 6: Gloucester City M
11 - September 24: Robin Hood, Nottingham M
12 - October 29: Dublin M
(M = marathon / HM = half-marathon)