How a Carlton Colville woman lost five stone and got her confidence back
- Credit: Archant
Fiona Jermy, 25, from Carlton Colville tipped the scales at 15st 12lb when she first joined the weight loss group three years ago.
A woman has spoken out about her new found confidence after joining a Slimming World group in Lowestoft.
Fiona Jermy, 25, from Carlton Colville tipped the scales at 15st 12lb when she first joined the group three years ago.
At the time, Fiona was battling her low confidence and struggled to get out of the house - even to shop for groceries.
Miss Jermy said: 'I was always so conscious about what other people thought of me, so was scared about being in public places through fear of being judged.'
You may also want to watch:
It was when her health began to deteriorate and was compromised for her love of food she knew her lifestyle had to change.
Miss Jermy said: 'I knew I had to do something about my weight, it was holding me back from enjoying life and being sociable. I had tried losing weight alone, but it was really hard to do without any support.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
'I wasn't really sure about it as I love my food and didn't think I could do it,' she said.
Aged 22 and tired with the constant struggle with social anxiety she decided to make the change.
'It wasn't until I came back from a holiday and saw photos that I was disgusted,' she said.
'I couldn't enjoy simple things like shopping, changing rooms were my nightmare and often lead to tears,' she added.
The then apprentice at the James Paget University Hospital joined her local support group after a friend asked her to come along for a meeting.
Within 18 months, Fiona went on to lose 5 stone 7lb and she began to live her life to the fullest.
She moved from her family home and secured her own place and put on to full-time work at the hospital.
At her lightest, Miss Jermy weighed in at 10st 5lb and credits her support network from the group.
'They were there every week, to cheer me along when I was successful and to help and support me on the more difficult weeks, I never felt alone.
'It's not just the new body and confidence that I've gained, I have met friends for life through my Slimming World group.'
As she reaches her year anniversary of her weight loss journey, Miss Jermy has become a consultant at North Lowestoft and is set launch a second group at Grove Primary School, Carlton Colville.