Health bosses rule out keeping walk-in clinic in Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A NHS walk-in clinic destined for closure in Great Yarmouth will not see its walk-in clinic saved, despite public protest.
The Greyfriars building will however remain open but only on weekends and bank holidays, and with a reduced appointment-only service.
Health bosses reconsidered plans to completely close the £8million facility which opened in 2009 after an outcry from the public.
The decision was made in May and campaigners launched a petition which gained thousands of signatures.
NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is pledging to continue using the Greyfriars building in Howard Street South and develop it into the hub for NHS services.
You may also want to watch:
The walk-in clinic will not return, and there will still be no primary care provided at the facility on weekdays.
Instead patients will be referred to an enhanced NHS 111 phone service, or the James Paget Hospital in Gorleston.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 5 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 6 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 7 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
- 8 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 9 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 10 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
The new plan is to provide an appointment-only clinic at Greyfriars which will open twice a day at weekends and on bank holidays for people who have contacted 111 and need to see a GP.
At a meeting on Thursday in Beccles, the CCG's governing body will be asked to approve the recommendations.
The current contract for the GP and walk-in service at Greyfriars comes to an end in September.
Patients registered with Greyfriars GP surgery will receive a letter confirming their new GP practice during August.