Every mile counts as staff at Norwich’s Forum get fit
Around 50 people who work at the Forum in Norwich have pledged to walk around the world before the start of the Olympic games this summer –but none of them will be going further than the inner ring road.
The challenge is to cover 25,000 miles, the circumference of the globe, during the working day at the Forum.
Active Norfolk, the county-wide organisation behind the Pledge 2012 campaign, has provided pedometers so those taking part can measure distances to work and miles covered walking around Norfolk's millennium building.
The Forum's marketing manager Jayne Evans said: 'We did some sums and we reckon that if each person taking part covers about two-and-a-half miles a day, we will make it before the games start on July 27.
'However, when you take out weekends and holidays that average goes up quite a bit and there are times when I wonder if our fitness pledge for 2012 is a step too far.'
You may also want to watch:
The Forum's team has been chalking up the miles for two weeks, but by their calculations they have only reached the outskirts of Paris.
Catherine Wymer, locality manager at the library, said: 'Thirty staff in the library are doing it. The library is a huge space so we all walk many miles during the week, shelving books, serving customers, etc.'
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 4 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 5 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 6 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 7 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 10 Teen in serious condition after bank holiday crash
Charly Bensley, the Forum Trust's marketing and communications co-ordinator, said she had started walking to and from her home in the Golden Triangle in Norwich. For the latest Olympic news see our London Calling supplement on February 28.
To take part in Active Norfolk's Pledge 2012 visit the website http://pledge2012.com.
What challenge have you set yourself before the Olympics? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com.