Every mile counts as staff at Norwich’s Forum get fit
Around 50 people who work at the Forum in Norwich have pledged to walk around the world before the start of the Olympic games this summer –but none of them will be going further than the inner ring road.
The challenge is to cover 25,000 miles, the circumference of the globe, during the working day at the Forum.
Active Norfolk, the county-wide organisation behind the Pledge 2012 campaign, has provided pedometers so those taking part can measure distances to work and miles covered walking around Norfolk's millennium building.
The Forum's marketing manager Jayne Evans said: 'We did some sums and we reckon that if each person taking part covers about two-and-a-half miles a day, we will make it before the games start on July 27.
'However, when you take out weekends and holidays that average goes up quite a bit and there are times when I wonder if our fitness pledge for 2012 is a step too far.'
You may also want to watch:
The Forum's team has been chalking up the miles for two weeks, but by their calculations they have only reached the outskirts of Paris.
Catherine Wymer, locality manager at the library, said: 'Thirty staff in the library are doing it. The library is a huge space so we all walk many miles during the week, shelving books, serving customers, etc.'
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 7 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 8 Hethersett high school sends pupils home after four coronavirus cases
- 9 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 10 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
Charly Bensley, the Forum Trust's marketing and communications co-ordinator, said she had started walking to and from her home in the Golden Triangle in Norwich. For the latest Olympic news see our London Calling supplement on February 28.
To take part in Active Norfolk's Pledge 2012 visit the website http://pledge2012.com.
What challenge have you set yourself before the Olympics? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com.