Aylsham event celebrates helpers of elderly
Community volunteers who support older people in Aylsham are being asked to take a bow at a special celebration next month.
Celebrating Volunteering is being run by Broadland District Council in partnership with Voluntary Norfolk, with the twin aims of recruiting more volunteers and showcasing their work in the community.
The event is being staged on October 1, UK Older People's Day, at Aylsham Parish Church. It will start with an afternoon Volunteer Fair, where the public can learn more about organisations working in the local community and find out how they can help. In the evening there will be a Celebration of Local Volunteering to publically recognise and applaud the contribution volunteers make to community life in Aylsham.
Broadland District Council's portfolio holder for communities and housing and ward councillor for Aylsham, Jo Cottingham said: 'The idea is part of the council's Grow Your Community project where we encourage and support people to take the initiative and play a part in improving the lives of older people.
'There are so many unsung heroes and heroines out there without whom groups and clubs could not survive we thought it would be good to honour them and hopefully recruit some more to keep them thriving.'
You may also want to watch:
Organisers also hope the event will raise the profile of voluntary organisations in the town.
Voluntary groups wanting to take part should contact the Susan Flack on 01603 430594 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or Voluntary Norfolk's North Norfolk co-ordinator Jonny Wood on 01263 510701 or email@example.com.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 4 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 7 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 8 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 9 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
- 10 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow