Artist David Foox’s organ donor art figures on display at Norwich hospital
An unusual art collection has gone on display at a city hospital.
The exhibit at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital consists of 24 small vinyl figures which are collectively known as 'The Organ Donors'.
Each model has individual characteristics and a name of its own and represents one of 9 transplantable organs or tissues to help raise awareness of organ donation.
The dolls have been donated to the Hospital Arts Project by the Hospital Organ Donation Committee and are the creation of New York-based artist David Foox.
The vinyl toy project stemmed from his experience of having a close family member who required a double lung transplant due to cystic fibrosis. He was so inspired by the donation of the organs that allowed his relative to receive the transplant which saved his life, that he decided to create an entire series of figures that would raise awareness of organ donation.
You may also want to watch:
Marie Garside, on behalf of the organ donation committee, said: 'We are enormously grateful to David Foox for his support and we're also delighted with the exhibit. Although aware that the figures may not be to everybody's taste, we are positive that they will promote interest and discussion and our overall objective is to encourage people to speak openly about organ donation.'
To join the Organ Donation Register telephone 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.organdonation.nhs.uk.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea