22-year-old enjoying independent life in Gayton, near King’s Lynn
- Credit: Archant
A 22-year-old man from West Norfolk with mental health needs is being supported to live independently and dreaming of taking a life skills course at college and going on holiday.
Frankie Hannant moved into a new home created and run by care provider Regard, after children's services.
His home at Sail Close, Gayton is one of the first of a series of 'My Home' units where people can look after themselves and live independently. Regard is planning to open other similar facilities across the country.
Resembling individual bungalows, the units are completely self-contained.
Mr Hannant lacked living skills and originally had two staff to support him, but he has now developed the confidence to live independently.
You may also want to watch:
Gemma Watson, Regard care manager at Sail Close, said: 'Frankie has progressed in all aspects of his care needs and development, and has achieved so many things in different areas. He now attends college three days a week, without Sail Close staff, which is a fantastic achievement.'
The 22-year-old said: 'I enjoy my new home and the independence I have. I have progressed well in college and received good reports, and my goal is to take a life skills course this year at the College of West Anglia. I'm also going to Center Parcs for a holiday.'
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 3 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 4 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 5 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
- 10 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
Have you got a success story in West Norfolk to share with us? Email firstname.lastname@example.org