World superbike champion Carl Fogarty airlifted to hospital after crash at Dirt Quake in King’s Lynn
- Credit: Ian Burt
A superbike rider says he has ridden his last race after he was airlifted to hospital after crashing in King's Lynn.
Carl 'Foggy' Fogarty was one of hundreds of riders taking part in the Dirt Quake event at the Norfolk Arena.
MORE - Bikers from around the world head for Dirt Quake at King's LynnMORE - Carl Fogarty joins Dirt QuakeThe four-times World Superbike winner, who comes from Lancashire, told fans on social media: 'Well Sunday was going mega @dirtquake won five out of six race heats.
'Errr then had a little crash. Two broken ribs a punctured lung and a broken shoulder blade. Nothing really too bad.'
Fogarty, who retired from the superbike track in 2000, has promised wife Michaela he will not be racing again.
You may also want to watch:
Event organiser Neil Duncanson said: 'Carl Fogarty had a massive crash in the Hooligan final and after the race was stopped he was taken away by ambulance, then airlifted to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital with a broken shoulder, broken ribs and a collapsed lung. He's doing ok, but it was pretty spectacular stuff.'
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 6 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 7 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting