“So proud of myself” - Harleston grandma celebrates slimming success after losing 58lbs
- Credit: jan cripps/weight watchers
A grandma from Harleston is celebrating becoming a happier and healthier person after losing 58lbs.
Jan Cripps first joined Weight Watchers in 2005, reaching her goal weight in 2006 and maintaining it until 2009.
However a series of events over the next few years left her feeling out of control and caused her weight to spiral.
She said: 'My self esteem plummeted. I was increasingly turning down invitations because I was too embarrassed and didn't have the confidence to go along.
'I avoided having my photo taken for several years prior to having one taken on holiday in late 2016. This was a defining moment for me, as there was no more denying that I had a serious weight problem and I needed to face up to it.'
You may also want to watch:
A few weeks later, at the beginning of 2017, an advert for Weight Watchers popped up on Facebook and this was the sign that sparked a change.
The 63-year-old contacted Sandra Forder, a local Weight Watchers coach and was given the encouragement she needed to rejoin the slimming group.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 4 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 5 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 6 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 7 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
- 8 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 9 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
- 10 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
'I'm so glad I took that all important first step. A year further on, with the brilliant Weight Watchers app and Sandra's genuine encouragement and support, I have got to where I want to be and am a different person because of it,' she said.
'Weight Watchers has given me a new lease of life. I feel younger and more energetic than I have in years. Recently I walked to the top of Glastonbury Tor and felt so proud of myself as a year ago I wouldn't even have attempted this.
'I look forward to taking the dogs for a walk and love playing with the grandchildren - no longer do I have to say 'grandma can't do that' and it's great being able to get back up off the floor!'
She added: 'No more turning down invites, I am loving going out again. Ultimately I did this for me to become a healthier and happier person but both myself and my family are reaping the benefits and I am determined to maintain my healthy weight.'