“So proud of myself” - Harleston grandma celebrates slimming success after losing 58lbs
- Credit: jan cripps/weight watchers
A grandma from Harleston is celebrating becoming a happier and healthier person after losing 58lbs.
Jan Cripps first joined Weight Watchers in 2005, reaching her goal weight in 2006 and maintaining it until 2009.
However a series of events over the next few years left her feeling out of control and caused her weight to spiral.
She said: 'My self esteem plummeted. I was increasingly turning down invitations because I was too embarrassed and didn't have the confidence to go along.
'I avoided having my photo taken for several years prior to having one taken on holiday in late 2016. This was a defining moment for me, as there was no more denying that I had a serious weight problem and I needed to face up to it.'
A few weeks later, at the beginning of 2017, an advert for Weight Watchers popped up on Facebook and this was the sign that sparked a change.
The 63-year-old contacted Sandra Forder, a local Weight Watchers coach and was given the encouragement she needed to rejoin the slimming group.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 3 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 4 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 5 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 6 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 7 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 8 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 9 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
- 10 7 pubs up for sale or rent in Norfolk
'I'm so glad I took that all important first step. A year further on, with the brilliant Weight Watchers app and Sandra's genuine encouragement and support, I have got to where I want to be and am a different person because of it,' she said.
'Weight Watchers has given me a new lease of life. I feel younger and more energetic than I have in years. Recently I walked to the top of Glastonbury Tor and felt so proud of myself as a year ago I wouldn't even have attempted this.
'I look forward to taking the dogs for a walk and love playing with the grandchildren - no longer do I have to say 'grandma can't do that' and it's great being able to get back up off the floor!'
She added: 'No more turning down invites, I am loving going out again. Ultimately I did this for me to become a healthier and happier person but both myself and my family are reaping the benefits and I am determined to maintain my healthy weight.'