Happy Ed Balls Day! Fifth anniversary of the day the Norwich City chairman tweeted his own name
- Credit: PA
It's that time of year again. Today the internet celebrates the day Norwich City chairman Ed Balls accidentally became an internet phenomenon by tweeting his own name.
It was back in 2011 when the former Shadow Chancellor was shopping for the ingredients for a 12-hour pulled pork recipe in an Asda store when an aide suggested he search for an article on Twitter which mentioned him.
Mr Balls began typing in his name, but at a phone call distracted him and he accidentally hit 'send', tweeting the message to the delight of everyone on Twitter.
The original tweet has since been retweeted over 64,000 times and received over 34,000 likes.
Today marks the fifth anniversary of what is now known as Ed Balls Day and the first since he lost his parliamentary seat.
You may also want to watch:
Thousands of people have used Twitter to celebrate the momentous day, sharing photos, videos and mocking up pictures of the Norwich City chairman.
Like every year Mr Balls will mark the occasion by retweeting the original tweet at 4.20pm, the exact time it was sent five years ago.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 10 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk