Happisburgh builder catches one of largest sharks ever in UK waters
- Credit: Archant
A Happisburgh builder was amazed when he caught one of the largest sharks ever recorded in British waters, measuring a staggering 9ft 2in.
Danny Fitch, 49, was on his first ever shark fishing trip when he caught the 242lb blue shark 20 miles off the coast of Wales.
The fish is believed to be the biggest blue shark ever caught in Welsh waters and the second biggest ever caught in the UK.
Mr Fitch spent about 30 minutes reeling the huge fish in near Milton Haven and said he was amazed that he caught it.
'Saying I couldn't believe I caught it is an understatement,' he said. 'When I went out I said I wanted to catch something weighing about 100lb and I actually caught as fish which weighed 120lb and helped bring this one in.
You may also want to watch:
'I had to pull the shark onto the boat about four times as it kept falling down but when I finally got it on board Andrew the skipper measured and checked it over then shook my hand and said I had landed the biggest shark ever caught in Wales.'
The builder usually fishes off the beach at Happisburgh and the biggest fish he has ever managed to get catch there weighed 9lb.
- 1 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 2 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 3 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 4 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 7 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 8 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
- 9 Man drowned after drifting out onto lake on air bed
- 10 Staff at food firm receive £900 bonus each
He caught the huge fish, which was released back into the sea, while on a day-trip with renowned boat skipper Andrew Alsop and said he already has plans to visit the waters again.
'I have already booked to go back out with Andrew next year but I know I will probably never catch anything like that again,' he said.
•Have you got a story for the EDP? Email firstname.lastname@example.org