Half a million pound expansion plan for Norwich restaurant
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Highest rosetted restaurant in Norwich expanding by 50pc.
One of the highest-rated restaurants in Norwich, Roger Hickman's has announced a half a million pound investment to create a private dining room and second kitchen, increasing capacity by 50pc.
The eponymous restaurant in Upper St Giles Street (last month confirmed as the only AA 3 Rosette establishment in the city) will be able to offer private dining, room for small functions and cookery demonstrations in the new first floor space above the existing restaurant.
Roger Hickman bought the freehold to the ground floor of the building, where he was once head chef at the Michelin-starred Adlards, in 2012. Now he has purchased the remaining two floors from former owners MJB, allowing him to grow the business.
Work has already started on replacing the roof of the building, with the new dining room due to open early in 2018.
You may also want to watch:
'Since we opened in 2010, we have been constrained by space, both in terms of numbers of covers, and in our ability to accommodate larger parties,' said Roger.
'The new dining room will enable us to offer tables for larger parties, as well as accommodate weddings and private parties, something we are constantly being asked to do.
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 3 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 4 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 5 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 6 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 7 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 8 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 9 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 10 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
'Building a second, separate kitchen on the first floor will also allow us to put on cookery demonstrations.
'Half a million pounds is an enormous investment for an independent restaurant, but I am confident that in a city largely made up of chain restaurants, that there is a healthy appetite for quality independent establishments.'
Roger Hickman's Restaurant was first given the prestigious 3 AA Rosette award in 2012, and has retained it ever since – the only restaurant in Norwich to boast the accolade. The award was reconfirmed at the annual AA awards in September.
Also last month, Hickman's was announced as the highest-rated Norfolk restaurant in the annual SquareMeal Best UK Restaurant survey, as well as receiving a prestigious 'Notable Wine List' award from the AA for the variety and quality of its wine list, for the third year in a row.