Grimston post office re-opens
A village post office which closed down last month re-opened today.
The branch in the Grimston Post Office Store closed in January after the postmaster resigned, despite a petition signed by 1,000 people.
Today, it re-opened with a temporary subpostmaster behind the counter, who will operate the business until a more permanent solution can be found for the village.
Peter Joyce - proprietor of the village store - said: 'All the customers were really happy about it but the main day will be Monday when they come in for their pensions.
'People have had to travel further afield, it's very inconvenient for people.'
You may also want to watch:
Post Office Ltd spokesman Wendy Hamilton said: 'We are delighted to be able to reopen Grimston Post Office.
'The branch will offer the same wide range of Post Office products and services as before and the opening hours remain unchanged.'
- 1 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 4 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 5 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 6 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 7 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 8 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 9 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
Closure came after union leaders claimed the post office, in Massingham Road, was 'unviable' after Royal Mail bosses moved the village sorting office to King's Lynn - after spending thousands on it.
Announcing the closure, the company said that villagers could use post offices at neighbouring Gayton or Hillington instead. The village store was unaffected by the closure of the post office counter.
Post Office Ltd said it had been working to restore services to Grimston since the postmaster resigned.