Gresham’s headteacher pays tribute to ‘much-loved’ pupil found dead at school
- Credit: Archant
A school head has paid tribute to a 'much-loved' house prefect as the inquest into her death was opened.
Talented A-level student Rebecca Haley, 18, was found unconscious by a member of staff at Gresham's School, in Holt, on Saturday.
An inquest into her death was opened and adjourned at Norwich Magistrates' Court yesterday, with senior coroner Jacqueline Lake giving the medical cause of death as hanging.
'A member of school staff discovered Miss Haley hanging in her room,' said Ms Lake. 'Paramedics attended but sadly she was confirmed dead at the scene.'
Miss Haley, a boarder at the school's Britten House, was formally identified to police by matron Julie Simms.
You may also want to watch:
Douglas Robb, headmaster of Gresham's, said: 'We are all devastated by the death of a much-loved and cherished pupil.
'The thoughts and prayers of the whole school are with her family and friends.'
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life
- 10 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
He declined to comment further after yesterday's inquest hearing.
It is understood that Miss Haley, known to her friends as Becca, was a keen artist whose work was entered into this year's Saatchi gallery schools art prize.
Britten House, where Miss Haley was boarding, is described as having a 'warmth and vibrancy' about it and a 'particularly colourful and cheerful interior'.
The inquest hearing was adjourned for a full inquest on October 25 at the Norfolk Coroner's Court.
For confidential support, call the Samaritans on 116 123.