Green Flag parks successes include Holt, Whitlingham, Hunstanton, King’s Lynn and Oulton Broad
Nine local parks and green spaces are among a record number in the East of England picking up prestigious Green Flag awards announced today.
They include Holt Country Park, collecting the accolade for the seventh year running, Whitlingtham Country Park near Norwich, the Walks at Kings' Lynn and Nicholas Everitt Park at Oulton Broad.
The Green Flag Award Scheme is the national standard for parks in the UK and recognises well-managed, high-quality areas.
Throughout the UK 1,288 parks and green spaces will receive awards, raising their flags throughout Love Parks Week running until July 31.
In the East of England 91 won Green Flag awards and another dozen community awards.
You may also want to watch:
Green Flag Plus Partnership chairman Phil Barton said: 'The importance of good-quality green spaces cannot be overestimated. They are central to the growth of our communities, both socially and economically.
'The Green Flag Award Scheme, and its growth, is essential in driving up the standards of our parks and green spaces. Access to quality green space is something we all desire and the scheme plays a key role in providing it.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 4 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 5 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 6 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 7 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 8 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 9 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
'In these challenging financial times it is heartening that the number of Green Flag and Community Awards continues to grow. As the value of green space and the role it plays in our communities strengthens, we must ensure these high standards remain.'
Local Green Flag winners were: Hunstanton Esplanade Gardens and Green, the Tower Gardens and Walks at Lynn, Whitlingham Country Park, Holt Country Park, Nicholas Everitt Park at Oulton Broad, Colney Woodland Burial Park and Wisbech Park and St Peter's church gardens also in the Cambridgesshire town.
More details of winners are at www.greenflagaward.org.uk.