Great Yarmouth man tells of panic as fire filled lobby of his flat with thick smoke
- Credit: Archant
A resident has described the feeling of panic as he watched the lobby of his Great Yarmouth flat fill with smoke.
Jamie Cosby, of Rodney Road, raised the alarm after a flaming bag of clothes filled his lobby and stairwell with thick smoke on Sunday, preventing him from escape.
After calling firefighters, Mr Cosby was told his safest option would be to shut himself in his flat and wait for rescue by his window.
Mr Cosby, 33, said: 'I was panicking. I've never seen smoke that thick before so it was very nerve-wracking.'
On arriving at the building, which contains 15 flats over three floors, firefighters put out the blaze and helped Mr Cosby escape the building by ladder.
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'The firefighters were very good - it was all over in about 45 minutes. They did a great job making sure everybody was okay.'
The fire broke out at around 8.15pm, with crews from Great Yarmouth, Gorleston and Acle attending.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre