Great Yarmouth husband’s campaign for better A&E care after death of his wife

Nor Pugh

Nor Pugh - Credit: Archant

A heartbroken husband who claims his dying wife was ignored in A&E is campaigning for better hospital care.

Nor Pugh, 67, of Apsley Road, Great Yarmouth, was taken into the James Paget University Hospital (JPH) on October 17.

She died of a brain hemorrhage five days later at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (N&N).

Her husband Tony, 70, said she received excellent care when she got to the N&N, but alleged her treatment at the JPH was 'totally wrong'.

Mrs Pugh arrived at the JPH at 12.45pm and had blood tests, but was then left alone on a wooden wheelchair for around eight hours, Mr Pugh said.

You may also want to watch:

He added staff did not offer her a drink of water in this time.

At 9.15pm he said he asked what was happening and got no answer.

Most Read

His daughter Sharon has cerebral palsy so he had to return home, but left his phone number with hospital staff and told them to call him to let him know what was going on.

After making dinner for his disabled daughter Mr Pugh fell asleep near to the phone, and woke up at 6.15am.

He said nobody had called, and when he phoned up to find out how his wife was he was told she had been transferred to the N&N without his knowledge.

Mr Pugh said he is angry that he was left in the dark, and felt staff were too busy with paperwork to be helping patients.

In a plea that he asked the Mercury to print, he wrote: 'May I appeal to any person, no matter who you are, if you or your family has had similar grievances with this hospital's care, please come forward and lodge your complaint to try to change this situation that is still ongoing after a very long period of time.

'Let's all fight together or I fear services will get worse.'

He had worked at Anglia Co-op funeral directors with his wife and they have three children, Lester, Debbie and Sharon, and granddaughter Maya.

Mr Pugh said his wife's illness began two years ago when she was diagnosed with cellulitis and septicaemia and had to have toes amputated.

He claimed JPH consultants had wanted to amputate her leg, but he refused and a toe was amputated instead.

Mr Pugh said he was not happy with how the operation went, and a second operation was carried out at the N&N.

He added his wife's death was in part caused by taking Warfarin - which thins the blood - for a long period of time without a break after an operation on a blocked artery.

A separate legal dispute is underway with the doctor - who worked at a GP practice - that prescribed the drug.

A JPH spokesman said: 'We are currently investigating the issues raised, however, patient confidentiality requires that we do not discuss individual patients care in detail.

'While we appreciate that patients or relatives may wish to share aspects of care with the media, it is not appropriate for this trust to do so.

'We take all complaints, formal and informal, very seriously and welcome the opportunity they give us to find out where we can do better to improve the quality of the services we provide.

'We use learning from complaints to review our practices and procedures as a means of continuous improvement.

'We encourage patients, carers and relatives to contact us through our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (telephone number 01493 453240) on any issue.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus