Second Seabourn cruise ship of the year to visit Great Yarmouth
- Credit: © James Bass 2018
More than 600 tourists will call into the Port of Great Yarmouth this Sunday as the town prepares to welcome its second luxury cruise liner this year.
The MV Seabourn Ovation will dock at Peel Ports Great Yarmouth Outer Harbour at around 7.30am, as part of a 'Jewels of the National Trust' UK tour offered by Seabourn Cruise Line.
Her arrival marks the second time this year that the US-based luxury cruise operator has picked Great Yarmouth as a calling point for its passengers. In June this year the MV Seabourn Quest arrived, with 458 tourists on board.
The visit is the final call on the 16-night cruise, before the ship returns to Dover.
Passengers on the cruise will have visited numerous heritage sites around the coast of the UK.
The ship will receive a five-star welcome, while passengers will have the chance to explore what the town has to offer.
As part of a special civic reception on the quayside, they will be greeted by local band Great Yarmouth Brass, and Cllr Mary Coleman, the mayor of the Great Yarmouth borough.
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 7 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 10 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
Passengers will have the chance to take special guided coach tours to some of the region's top attractions, including the Market Place, Great Yarmouth Minster, Town Hall, Time & Tide Museum, Elizabethan Museum and the famous Golden Mile.
Mrs Coleman said: 'The previous cruise ship visit was a huge success. The passengers absolutely loved Great Yarmouth and sailed away with wonderful memories.
'Great Yarmouth has heritage in spades and we're really looking forward to showcasing it to 600 more visitors.
'Cruise ships offer the opportunity to develop an additional side to our visitor economy from the Outer Harbour, and we're promoting Great Yarmouth with a fantastic itinerary.'
Richard Goffin, Port Director at Peel Ports Great Yarmouth said: 'This is the second luxury cruise ship to call at Great Yarmouth this year and it offers up another new opportunity as part of our ongoing success story here.
'We look forward to working with Great Yarmouth Borough Council to ensure we continue to market Great Yarmouth as a destination of choice for cruise operators and that we are in a position to welcome even more passenger vessels in years to come.'
MV Seabourn Ovation will arrive into Great Yarmouth on Sunday, berthing at around 7am.
MV Seabourn Ovation - factfile
• Launched: September 1, 2017
• Christened: May 11, 2018
• Features: 300 suites, 1,600 works of art
• Capacity: 604 passengers
• Builder: Fincantieri
• Tonnage: 40,350 gross tonnage