Great Yarmouth casino and cinema plans Edge closer as councillors unanimously vote in its favour
- Credit: Courtesy of Collado Collins Arch
A multi-million pound investment into the Great Yarmouth seafront has moved a step closer to becoming a reality.
The Edge development has been almost a decade in the making and on Wednesday councillors gave the green light for its first phase.
At a meeting of Great Yarmouth Borough Council's development control committee, full planning permission for an 81-room Premier Inn amd Beefeater restaurant was granted, with councillors unanimously voting in its favour.
Councillors also unanimously approved an outline application for a large casino, an entertainment complex with restaurants and a cinema and an indoor children's play area, which will subsequently be added across the projects three stages.
It was the third time proposals for The Edge had been put before the council, with larger scale applications receiving planning permission in 2006 and 2011 respectively, though these lapsed.
However, this time, Nick Laister of RPS Planning and Development, on behalf of applicant Albert Jones, assured councillors it would be third time lucky.
You may also want to watch:
Work on the first phase, the Premier Inn, has been touted to begin in October, with the following October targeted for the beginning of second phase - the cinema, restaurants and indoor play area.
Full planning applications are now pending for phases two and three of the development.
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 5 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 6 Childhood friends unite to launch barbershop together
- 7 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 8 New Turkish takeaway which cooks over coals shows how kebabs should be done
- 9 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 10 Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront