Great Yarmouth Borough Council to call for end of austerity programme
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A council is to write to the government demanding it ends its austerity programme and lifts the public service pay cap.
The Labour group at Great Yarmouth Borough Council proposed the motion, which was voted for on Thursday night by a full meeting of the authority.
The motion was carried 17-15 with two abstentions.
The motion said 'Now that the Government has found a Magic Money Tree and agreed to give £1 Billion to
You may also want to watch:
'We call upon this council to write to the Prime Minister Theresa May MP and Brandon Lewis MP, demanding an immediate abandonment of the Austerity programme and a lifting of the maximum 1% pay cap on our vital Public Services.'
The council, which sees the Conservatives as the largest party, will now write to the government and Mr Lewis calling for the changes.
- 1 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 8 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
A record was made of how each councillor voted.