Great sport: Flt Sgt Nigel Gurney flying high after winning award at RAF Wittering
- Credit: Credit to Self Taken, RAF
Sheringham man Nigel Gurney won the Coach of the Year award at RAF Wittering's first annual Sports Personality of the Year event.
The station's award recognises personnel who have made an outstanding contribution to station sports.
Sea angling has been Flt Sgt Gurney's passion since he first moved to Norfolk with his family in 1969, when he was seven.
He joined the RAF in 1985 as an regiment gunner and his love of the sport has remained. His sea angling team regularly uses the football pitches to practise, casting their lines to the 100 yards-plus distances often needed at sea.
He said: 'In so many ways I'm just following my hobby, not really expecting to win anything extra. Getting a podium finish at the competition is terrific.'
You may also want to watch:
Station commander, Group Captain Rich Pratley said: 'I think it's important we recognise the alternative sports.'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 9 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland