Great sport: Flt Sgt Nigel Gurney flying high after winning award at RAF Wittering
- Credit: Credit to Self Taken, RAF
Sheringham man Nigel Gurney won the Coach of the Year award at RAF Wittering's first annual Sports Personality of the Year event.
The station's award recognises personnel who have made an outstanding contribution to station sports.
Sea angling has been Flt Sgt Gurney's passion since he first moved to Norfolk with his family in 1969, when he was seven.
He joined the RAF in 1985 as an regiment gunner and his love of the sport has remained. His sea angling team regularly uses the football pitches to practise, casting their lines to the 100 yards-plus distances often needed at sea.
He said: 'In so many ways I'm just following my hobby, not really expecting to win anything extra. Getting a podium finish at the competition is terrific.'
You may also want to watch:
Station commander, Group Captain Rich Pratley said: 'I think it's important we recognise the alternative sports.'
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 8 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 9 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 10 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region