Grapes Hill Community Garden Group urges more people to host a Big Lunch this year
- Credit: Archant
People across Norfolk are being encouraged to take part in a community project.
A Big Lunch, organised by the Eden Project, aims to get groups of people together to share a meal.
Last summer, Grapes Hill Community Garden Group (GHCGG) had their first Big Lunch in their organic garden where fruit, vegetables, herbs and ornamental shrubs and flowers grow.
The group was founded in 2008 and after years of hard work they set up the community garden in 2011.
Fran Ellington, secretary of GHCGG, said: 'The Big Lunch fits in our mission and aim to improve the community and to try to enhance relations with the community. The Big Lunch is a nice way of sharing and finding out a bit more of each other.'
You may also want to watch:
The GHCGG hosted a bring-and-share lunch in their garden and the local pub, The Reindeer, sold tapas, wine and real ales. The band Misto also provided Eastern European gypsy music and Klezmer for everyone to enjoy for free.
Ms Ellington added: 'It was amazing to see some of our neighbours enjoying themselves in the community garden and, most importantly, enjoying the company of people they might never have talked to before.'
- 1 Water outages hit homes across city
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 4 People released from car after crash closes road
- 5 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 6 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 7 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 8 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients
- 9 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 10 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
The group managed to fundraise £90 on the day.
This year GHCGG will host A Big Lunch on June 1, noon to 3pm, with the aim of bringing even more neighbours together for a bring and share lunch with some entertainment and fundraising activities.
• For more information on A Big Lunch visit www.thebiglunchers.com or www.thebiglunch.com.