Gorleston-on-Sea railway station is remembered with blue plaque
- Credit: Archant
It was a train station that served the town of Gorleston for nearly 70 years as passengers and freight travelled between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.
And now the history of the station, known as Gorleston-on-Sea Railway Station and which operated until 1970, has been remembered with a blue plaque.
The plaque was installed by Gorleston-on-Sea Heritage Group at Station House, the former station hotel, as it was the most appropriate place for the plaque.
The plaque was unveiled by Tony Mallion who spoke about his family's links with the station.
His grandparents, Ernest and Kathryn Mallion, moved to Gorleston in 1933 when Mr Mallion was appointed as a signalman at Gorleston.
You may also want to watch:
It was his family who built the bungalow in Victoria Road that stood just above the station.
At the unveiling Tony Mallion said the railway and the station did much to influence the growth of southern Gorleston.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 10 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
It opened in 1903, despite strong objections from residents on the Cliff Park estate and Avondale Road Clarence Road and Park Road due to losing land and a lose of property value.
The station was part of the Yarmouth to Lowestoft line, that had eights stations operating at some points in its history, including Gorleston Links and Gorleston North.
In 1959 British Railways proposed closing passenger services at the station but it kept a limited service due to protests.
In July 1967 freight services at the station were halted and in May 1970 passenger services ceased to operate.
The site of the former station is approximately the major roundabout that forms the junction of the A47 dual carriageway relief road and Victoria Road.
The unveiling of the blue plaque saw thanks given to Neil Turner, owner of Station House, and the attendance of Joyce Johnson, 98 and who lives in the bungalow built by the Mallion family.
The mother of Tony Mallion, Vera, was also present to represent her husband Ron Mallion, 95.
Les Cockrill, chairman of Gorleston-on-Sea Heritage Group, also gave a five minute resume of the history of the station.
One feature of the station was its extensive goods yard and carriage sidings, which at times contained holiday camps express carriages.