Gorleston doctor to take part in European rally to raise money for charity
- Credit: Submitted
A consultant cardiologist at the James Paget University Hospital (JPUH) will be taking to the roads of Europe later this month as part of the 2017 Crumball Rally.
The unique rally is being staged from Friday 15 to Sunday 17 September and sees well-used classic cars, also know as old wrecks being driven 2,000 miles across Germany, into Poland and back to Germany via the Czech Republic in just three days.
Consultant Dr Justin Zaman and three of his friends will take part in the rally in his 2001 Volkswagen Beetle called Vicky. They are gathering sponsorship to raise as much money as possible for the British Red Cross.
The 2017 Crumball Great Escape is themed loosely on the 60s film and the route will take in several historic wartime locations including Colditz and Stalag Luft III, on route between Koblenz, Prague and Munich.
Teams and vehicles are expected to be in fancy dress and there are a host of film-related challenges on route for the drivers and passengers of the 80 cars involved in the rally.
You may also want to watch:
The Crumball Rally's Great Escape is returning for the second time since 2011, and combines traditional banger rally pursuits with stunning scenery and visits to iconic wartime prisoner of war sites.
Prizes are up for grabs for completing the challenges and for the best 'pimp my ride' paint scheme, among other categories.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us
Vicky is regularly seen in the JPUH car park and while many of the vehicles are scrapped following the rally, Dr Zaman will be driving her back to the UK before she is passed onto a young relative who will be her new owner.
Dr Zaman said: 'I brought Vicky when I became a registrar and she has been with me through many important life events but is now on her last legs.
'We hope she will get us through Poland, the Czech Republic and Germany without too many problems. It's all for a really good cause, the British Red Cross, who have done amazing work this year after tragedies in Manchester and London and continue to work both in this country and abroad.'
For more details about the rally, please visit www.crumballrally.com/thegreatescape2017.php and you can donate to Dr Zaman and his team at www.justgiving.com/fundraising/eyeedul-riaz-justin-wayne-team-herbievorsprung.