Thousands descend on beach for Danny Boyle filming
- Credit: Archant
Lights, camera, action!
Gorleston is the centre of the film world this afternoon as Danny Boyle started to enlist the help of 5,000 people on its beach for his latest film.
The Oscar-winning director is shooting a concert scene for the Beatles-based film, which involves 5,000 people playing extras on the beach by the Pier Hotel.
Ahead of the filming of the concert scene Mr Boyle appeared before the large crowd from the roof of the Pier Hotel.
He told the extras: 'Remember where you are, you will definitely be in the film!'
Rehearsals have started with people told to cheer when the stars appear, but also to preserve their voices for the actual shooting.
The film imagines a world in which The Beatles did not exist.
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 4 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 5 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 6 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 7 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 8 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 9 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages
- 10 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
Today's scene is designed to pay homage to the Liverpudlian band's famous gig on the rooftop of Apple Corporation in Savile Row, London.
By this point in the film the lead protagonist, Jack, who is played by Eastenders actor Himesh Patel, has become a major international singer-songwriter. Other famous actors appearing today are Downton Abbey star Lily James, Sanjeev Bhaskar and Meera Syal from Goodness Gracious Me, and Kate McKinnon from Saturday Night Live.
The film company arrange for a park and ride system to Gorleston clifftop for the lucky people who had successfully applied to be an extra.
As they headed to the beach the crowds also boosted seafront businesses.
Claire Beckett, manager of the Marine Bay Cafe, said trade was picking up as people gathered to play extras on the seafront.
She also said Danny Boyle and the crew and cast had enjoying popping in during the overall filming.
She said: 'Danny Boyle came and enjoyed some chips and said he liked Gorleston and one night we had the full crew in and they have always popping in as well.'
She also said it would be a boost to the town by saying people would enjoy its unspoilt looks and beautiful views
Hazel Watts, owner of the Seabreeze Cafe said: 'It is electrifying and it's very uplifting, the seafront is vibrant.
'They were queuing at my doors at 9am, the extras, general people and the crew setting up
'The film will put Gorleston on the map. It has a lot to offer, free parking and scenic views. It is a lovely place for a wedding.'
She added cast and crew had visited the cafe during filming and her staff would be taking it in turns to play extras.