Goodyear blimp sighted flying over Norwich city centre
People in Norwich were left looking to the skies and scratching their heads this evening as a mysterious object flew over Norwich.
Reports of an airship flying over the city centre were reported, spotted in the Sprowston Road area at just before 7.30pm.
The mystery was short-lived however. The flying object has been confirmed as the aerial safety ambassador blimp of tyre dealer Goodyear.
The Goodyear Blimp is currently flying across the UK throughout September and October as part of the 2011 Goodyear Safety Tour and hopes to fly over Carrow Road tomorrow night, for Norwich City's televised Premier League clash with Sunderland.
Social network Twitter was soon buzzing with talk of the mystery blimp, when people were unsure of what it was.
You may also want to watch:
@Stoopish said: 'There is a blimp hovering over the city centre at the mo....wass all that about darluns?' and was soon followed by @Joanna_Page tweeting: 'Is that a blimp over the centre of #Norwich?'
@Pinky39 was rather more speculative with: 'OOOhh eeerrr are we being invaded??' before @enjoynorwich said: 'Oh the joy if aliens have *finally* decided to land and they've chosen #Norfolk. Are they in for a treat...'
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
But the official Twitter account of the campaign (@goodyear_uk) confirmed when asked if they were flying in Norwich tonight: 'We were indeed, ready for the Norwich game tomorrow night if weather permits.'
The blimp came across the city from the Bowthorpe direction, having flown over the Etihad Stadium in Manchester for Manchester City's match against Everton yesterday and is thought to have now landed at Norwich International Airport.
For more about the campaign, go to www.goodyearblimp.co.uk
Did you get any pictures of the blimp? Call reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email them straight to email@example.com