Golfers raise more than £4,000 for Excel Appeal which enables hospital to buy key dementia kit
- Credit: Archant
Patients are set to benefit from a generous donation by golfers which will help buy vital new medical equipment.
The Searles Resort Golf and Country Club, based in Hunstanton, have given a £4,000 cheque to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn to contribute towards the Excel Appeal.
The appeal aims to raise £50,000 for specialist equipment, such as falls prevention kit, recliner chairs, and dementia software, which will all improve the hospital's care of the elderly.
Thanks to the donation the hospital can buy one package of the dementia software, which will greatly help both nurses and patients with the condition.
The total donation for the appeal was £4,335, while £645 was given towards dementia services.
Laurence Morlaas, fundraising executive of the hospital, said: 'We are so grateful to everyone who helped raise such an impressive amount.
The package provides memory therapy for patients who have dementia, and the interactive system can be used in small groups or at the patient's bedside. It stores a huge selection of photographs, video clips, radio shows, and music from as far back as the 1930s.
- 1 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 7 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 8 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
- 9 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 10 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
'For many the hospital is an unfamiliar environment, and this equipment helps minimise anxiety and agitation,' Ms Morlaas said.
The golf club's men's captain, Rob Hills, said: 'I am delighted we have raised such a great amount this year. It's a cause close to the hearts of many members.'
Edward Howes, Searles Golf manager, said: 'We have a very social golf club and the captains together work hard to put on events and great days for all golfers to raise money for local charity.'
The funds were raised through events such as Captain's Day, competitions, raffles, quizzes, and donations.
To donate to the appeal visit www.justgiving.com/qehkl-excelappeal, or pay by cheque: payable to 'Excel Appeal' and send to Laurence Morlaàs, fundraising executive, QEH, Gayton Road, King's Lynn PE30 4ET.
Are you fundraising for the appeal? Email email@example.com