Golden couple recreate Broads honeymoon
- Credit: Archant
A couple are set to mark their golden wedding anniversary by recreating their honeymoon on the Broads nearly 50 years on.
Gillian and Christopher Pammenter from Peterborough will set off from Wroxham on Saturday 50 years after they departed from Oulton Broad.
The couple wed in 1968, aged 19 and 21 after meeting at school, and headed off on their honeymoon to The Broads - their very first holiday together.
They are returning to relive their happy memories and have once again booked their break through Hoseasons, the Lowestoft-based holiday firm they used to book their honeymoon through.
Back then the couple said their holiday cost just £35 for a week.
You may also want to watch:
'It's safe to say we've splashed out a little more than that for this special occasion,' they said.
Their honeymoon wasn't all plain sailing though.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
Mrs Pammenter said: 'Chris and I often have a giggle when we think back about our honeymoon. We had to be rescued the first afternoon, as we hadn't realized the river was tidal, we had moored up on what looked at nice grass bank only to find the water had gone down a few hours later and we were stuck in the mud.
'A couple of marine engineers out for a fishing weekend cruised by and tried to help pull the boat but it wouldn't shift, so they insisted we went on board their boat and took us to a mooring next to a pub.
'We played darts with them until later that evening when they took us back in the dark to find our boat floating OK. They then drove our boat back to the pub mooring.'
Mr and Mrs Pammenter said they were looking forward to getting back on the water to celebrate.
'We've been back to Norfolk in previous years but haven't taken a boating holiday since our honeymoon and are looking forward to exploring around Wroxham.'
Darren Newman, brand manager at Hoseasons, is planning on presenting the couple with a bottle of champagne and flowers on their check in.
He said: 'We want to congratulate Gillian and Chris on their wedding anniversary and hope they have an extra special holiday this time around. It just goes to show that many happy memories have been made on Hoseasons holidays over the years and we love to hear about all the special times people have had.'