Gaol Hill and Exchange Street in Norwich closed after water main bursts
- Credit: Archant
Gaol Hill and Exchange Street in Norwich remains closed off this morning after a water main sprung a leak on Exchange Street.
Anglian Water were called to the scene at around 2.45pm yesterday afternoon.
A spokesman for Anglian Water said: 'We have already attended to mark the area affected and will be returning as soon as possible to complete the repair.
'We often try to clamp the pipe either side of the leak, allowing us to cut out the damaged section and then replace it but each repair is unique and presents its own challenges.'
Police used a van to block the road before putting an official road block in place.
You may also want to watch:
Traffic from St. Giles is being diverted onto Bethel Street and the taxi rank on Gaol Hill is in limited use.
Businesses along the road have been unaffected by the leak.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 4 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 7 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 10 Former factory site to become a new church
Drivers are urged to find an alternative route while work is carried out as there is heavy traffic in the area.