Glorious sunshine makes sure annual Lowestoft volleyball tournament is a smash hit
- Credit: Mick Howes
Scores of players took to Lowestoft's beach on Saturday, as the town hosted its annual beach volleyball tournament.
Glorious sunshine and golden sands made the south beach the ideal location for the the yearly contest, which sees competitors of all abilities battle it out.
More than 30 teams of three or four members took part in the tournament, with 140 different games played throughout the day.
Teams from all across the country took part, with a players from the town joined by competitors from places such as Leeds, Chelmsford and Stowmarket, as well as teams from Norwich.
A total of 32 teams competed in the all-day tournament, which saw teams split into three ability groups - novice, intermediate and advanced, to make sure contets were as evenly fought out as possible.
You may also want to watch:
Co-organiser Thi Bolam from CEFAS Fisheries Laboratory, said: 'The competition went really well. The sun was shining all day so the weather was great, which is always a big, big help.
'Last year's weather was horrendous, so it was great to see that people weren't put off by that and still turned out, and thankfully the weather was perfect this time around.'
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 10 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
Competitors were also not fazed by the heat, with refreshing dips in the sea and refreshments from nearby shops making sure there was no dehydration.
She added: 'There was a really great atmosphere - the beach was full all day and lots of spectators also made the trip to watch. It was really great fun.
'We didn't have as many novices playing this year, but there was still a brilliant turnout in general amd everybody seemed to really enjoy themselves. It was a really friendly tournament which has been going more than 20 years and has grown each year to the successful event we have today.'
With three divisions fought out, there were three sets of overall winners at the end of the competition.
There was a home triumph in the novice division, with Lowestoft team Volleyballers claiming the spoils, while Team GNG from Bedford claimed the intermediate class. Team JSD, from Norwich volleyball club The Spikers were the victors in the advanced category.
Details of next year's tournament are expected to be confirmed in the spring.