‘Demolish it’ - Mum of five says notorious block of flats should be rebuilt due to safety concerns
- Credit: Archant
A mother has called for a block of flats to be demolished after her family was moved out due to safety concerns.
Angelika Miko, 27, was living in the Glebe Close flats in Thetford before being moved into emergency accommodation by Breckland District Council.
Three of the four flats were issued with a emergency prohibition order on February 8 following an inspection by Breckland housing officers and the fire service.
On Wednesday, the block was hit by a fire which police said they are treating as arson.
Ms Miko, who has five children aged from nine to 10 months, had moved into the top floor flat in September last year.
You may also want to watch:
From early on the family struggled with black mould and flooding in the flat, causing the children to cough and suffer from ill-health.
Ms Miko, currently living with her sister while the council find a new flat after she turned down emergency accommodation in Brandon due to not owning a car, said she was happy to be out of the block.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
She said: 'Even though I do not have an apartment at the moment I am happy that I do not have to worry that the building will collapse and I do not have to worry about my children and their safety.
'When we moved out we took everything apart from the fridge and the washing machine and the bigger things because I do not have anywhere. I live with my sister because we have nowhere to go.'
Ms Miko added her children's health has improved since leaving the flat but added the children were upset to have lost their home as they are unaware of what is going on.
She said: 'They do not know what is happening, they lose the roof over their head day by day.'
Ms Miko also called on the block to be knocked down due to safety concerns.
She said: 'This building is not suitable for anyone who lives there and it is a threat to people, so it should be demolished. Build a new one because refurbishment will not do.
'I was very angry that my children must live in such conditions.'