Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront
- Credit: Mick Howes
Visitors to a popular seafront can soon enjoy panoramic views of the coastline as a new attraction prepares to open.
A giant observation wheel has transformed the seafront skyline in Great Yarmouth - and people will be able to marvel at the views as the temporary landmark is "operational" from Monday, April 12.
The 'Yarmouth Eye' structure, which is 50m tall, will operate from the Sea Life Centre Gardens on Marine Parade this summer.
The Cityliner giant observation wheel features 36 capsules, each with a capacity of up to six people, and riders can expect a minimum experience of eight minutes aboard the attraction.
It is expected it to be visible from the Acle Straight when illuminated on summer evenings.
With Great Yarmouth Borough Council, as landowner, securing this attraction at no cost, to boost footfall and "enhance the seafront's overall offer" during a challenging time for the tourist economy, it is run by The Giant Wheel Co. Ltd.
A council spokesman said: "The wheel is all set up and ready to be operational from Monday."
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 3 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 7 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 10 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
Guests will have their temperatures taken before boarding and are required to wear a face covering boarding, during and exiting the ride.
Jake de Koning, of The Giant Wheel Company, said: "This is a landmark attraction that will offer views of Great Yarmouth and Norfolk for over 10 miles."