George slays the dragon in Downham Market this morning
- Credit: Archant
School children and shoppers gathered in the town square in Downham Market this morning to watch St George battle with the dragon that lives on Hilgay Fen.
Pupils from Hillcrest Primary School and Nelson Academy watched the entertainment performed by David Sharman as St George and Deputy Mayor Frank Daymond as the dragon.
The Downham Market Town councillors perform a story about the dragon from Hilgay Fen making its way to the town every year to do battle with St George. But as an endangered species, it cannot be killed, so is sent back to the fen for another year.
Mr Daymond said: 'Over 120 people were watching and the children really enjoyed it.'
St George's Day will be celebrated across England tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
• More in tomorrow's EDP.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 8 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer