George Nobbs new leader of Norfolk County Council
- Credit: Archant Â© 2008
George Nobbs has been elected the new leader of Norfolk County Council with the support of a 'rainbow alliance' at County Hall.
The Labour, Liberal Democrat and UKIP groups united behind the Labour leader to elect him 42-37.
There had been doubt over whether the alliance would be backed by the Green group, but all four Green councillors voted for Mr Nobbs at the extraordinary meeting of the full council this morning.
After his opening remarks to the chamber, Mr Nobbs made two appointments to his cabinet to deal with the county's failing children's services department – a situation 'so serious' it needed immediate action, he said.
Labour's Mick Castle becomes cabinet member for education, and Liberal Democrat James Joyce becomes cabinet member for safeguarding.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 7 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 8 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 9 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 10 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died